Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Children are Amazing

One of the most rewarding parts of being a parent is the pure, selfless joy of seeing your little ones grow and succeed at life's hurdles. I am not much for crying over sentimental things, sad goodbyes, even a sad movie doesn't get my eyes wet, but there is something that gets to me when I see my three children's excitement/reserve for trying something new, and breaking through to accomplish it. The first time I noticed this part of me was not when my little, but biggest kiddo started his first day of school, but when he was at the starting line getting ready to run his first cross country race. I was standing there with the video camera when all the kids ran by and my son starts to run, but stops when he sees a girl trip and fall, he waits for her to get up, and lets her pass him, then he begins the race. At that moment tears streamed down as see this kind act by Tucker, proud that even in the mist of a competition he felt the need to wait for this girl. In the end, after a mile and half run, red faced and thirsty, my little man won 2nd place!!!! These moments are great to see as parent's, because we raise our children with every hope they will come out decent, and then something like this happens (I didn't tell Tucker to wait for that girl) and we realize that we must be doing something right!!!!

Another proud moment was not lending a helping hand or kind act, but simply overcoming a fear and moving forward. My middle boy, Kemper, is our child who is shy/reserved/a little hot tempered, and has a big fear of strangers. After all, fear of strangers, isn't that what we want. :) This summer my sister-in-law and I sign our kids up for swim lessons, and as some of you know we don't have a pool here in Susanville, so we had to travel to Reno for two weeks of swimming. Yes, it might seems like a lot, but it was well worth it in the end. I was fully aware that Kemper would not be too excited about all the people, and the strange instructors, so I arranged my husband mother to watch Sammie so that I had my full attention on my son. Knowing that I had to create a safe environment for Kemper I got in the pool and help him do everything the other kids were learning how to do. I must admit I felt a little awkward being the only parent in the pool with their child, but I knew this was the only way to get him comfortable. For the first week, was the same, I got in, helped learn to swim, and then by the middle of the second week, he decided to get in on his own. I sat by the edge of the pool, gave him high fives and hugs when he did something good, and watch my son overcome something much bigger than learning how to swim. At that moment, sitting by the pool, I did want to cry, but I stopped myself because I didn't want to look like a crazy person. I am so proud of my little one, and the funny thing is, after that moment in the pool during all those swim lessons, he has been a changed kid. He is not as afraid to try new things and is eager to join in on all the fun.

Being a parent is the biggest blessing that I could have ever asked for. I always say, you can NEVER know the amount of love or the kind of love a parent has for their children until you have some of your own. Parenthood is filled with frustrating times, worry, fear, and poppy diapers; but all that results in these special moments that I will never forget. Moments of "Yeah, that is my KID!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment